Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Was it a coincidence?


Was it a coincidence?  Each of you who read this will have to decide for yourself.  But if there is even a 1% chance that it was something special and sacred, I want to write about it.  One of my assignments is to write the history book of the building of the temple.   This book will go into the cornerstone and into the archives of the church, as well as a few special offices of the church.  I would suppose if I was ever going to be in tune with the spirit, and in the right place (such as on a temple building site) to witness and recognize that it might be more than a coincidence, this would be my time.

After six months of underground construction and delays (due to weather and political protests and rioting) , we were finally ready to pour the main temple floor slabs.   I have twice felt that my Dad’s spirit might be close to me, on the temple job site.  Both times were big concrete pours. Today was one of them.  We saw something we have never seen before.  Most of the men working were our previous students and we were all proud of each other that we were able to complete the pour,  without having to bring in outside help.  Everyone was in a great mood, and the pour was going well.

We were almost finished and the men had just started to pour and finish the last area, for the day.   It was the Celestial room, which is considered the most special room in the temple.  As the men were working hard, and concrete was pouring out of the pump and the chute, one of the subcontractor’s pointed up and said… “Look!”   It was beautiful!   It was almost noon and the sun was straight up overhead.  Around the sun was a gorgeous rainbow circle. It is called a “Halo” and is a very rare natural optical phenomenon.   It was so bright that it was difficult to look at it for very long.   I turned to Ed and said … “It’s Dad sending us a message.  He is so proud of you!”   I had our workers pause and look at it and laughingly told them it was Seraphins (Angels) singing because we were pouring in the Celestial room.  We watched the “Halo” in the sky as they worked for about 15 minutes, and as they finished the Celestial Room, the Halo faded away. 

As I lie in my bed tonight, and think about it, I can’t help but wonder… “Was it a coincidence?”  But I like to think it was more than that, and that makes me happy (and humbled) to think that we were possibly blessed today to be part of a Heavenly Celebration that there is finally going to be a temple in Kinshasa for these wonderful people!

     





PS:  The colors of the ring didn’t come through in the photo, but we are excited we able to capture it at all!  The top is from my camera and the bottom is from Ed's camera.

PS.  From wikamedia:  Halo (from Greek ἅλως, halōs[1]) is the name for a family of optical phenomena produced by light interacting with ice crystals suspended in the atmosphere.





5 comments:

  1. So, so fun! That is so cool that you could get a photo of it!! Grandpa is so,so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't think that it is a coincidence. That is approval that the work is going forward after all these delays. At first when I was reading, I thought you were going to say it started raining. You had a much better story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't think that it is a coincidence. That is approval that the work is going forward after all these delays. At first when I was reading, I thought you were going to say it started raining. You had a much better story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos, beautiful story! It is real. There are many angels assisting in this temple every day. I am sure Dad is with you more than just the concrete pours. Even though that was his favorite part of the job. What a wonderful work you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Congo is a place of miracles and spiritual manifestations. Certainly makes sense to me that the Lord would have the heavens manifest His pleasure at the accomplishment of a big step in the building of His house. Thank you for sharing this wonderful piece of Kinshasa temple history with us. So happy that the work is moving along. It may be "complicated", as that is the Congo way, but it will happen. We rejoice in every baby step.
    Thank you so much for being there to shepherd the work.

    ReplyDelete