Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Our "Modern Day Scriptures"

I haven’t taken the opportunity to bear my Testimony on this blog. However, I have had a wonderful experience this month. I have known since I was young that The Bible, The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price are scriptures that are true. I know that ancient prophets wrote the books in the Bible and the Book of Mormon. I know that Joseph Smith interpreted the Book of Mormon, from the ancient records, with help from the Lord. I know that we have Prophets alive today, who are working under the inspiration of our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, to help us restore Christ’s true church on the earth. I was taught these things when I was young. They have always been a part of my life. However, I have an exciting new testimony of the Prophets and the scriptures. Recently the church released a new Handbook of Instructions. Part 1 is for the Stake and Ward executive leaders. Part 2 is for the Auxiliary leaders, such as Primary, Relief Society, Young Men and Young Women, etc. As I prayerfully searched for a way to train these wonderful people, we received our new handbooks and the DVD training that goes with them. It was like I was drowning and someone tossed me a life preserver. As I read the sections that I needed to use to train these women, time after time I got excited and exclaimed out loud, “This is exactly what I need! How did the general authorities and the committees know exactly what I would need in the Congo in the heart of Africa to be able to bring the joy and the love of the gospel to these individuals.” Then the answer it me. They were inspired by the Lord in all that they were writing. Just like Adam and Noah and Moses and Nephi and Alma and Moroni… and all the others. I am humbled to report that it took me this long to “get it” for myself… but I am excited to be here, and being led by these 2 wonderful books of modern day scripture. This is our “Preach My Gospel” which all missionaries study every day. We are having the same exciting experiences at having our questions about what to say and what to do answered on a daily basis, from the precious things that are written inside of these pages. I bear you my testimony that I know that the living Prophets today have been inspired to write these 2 books that answer our questions of what to do, what to say, how to act, and how to be humble… in everything that we do. These are our Scriptures written in Modern Days.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post because we also have been studying the new handbooks. Bishop Murphy has us all reading it and teaching form it regularly! I just figured that it was a church wide thing... everybody get to know the handbook. But apparently not. Some of my sibling's wards have not even really talked about it.

    I am also really loving it. There are some great things in it!

    ReplyDelete